This year, we’ll be rocking checkin-for-charity at Digital Portsmouth: The Art of Video, taking place at the Music Hall on Tuesday, December 6 at 5:30pm. To participate, check-in on foursquare at The Music Hall during the event and for every person that checks in (up to a swarm badge – 50 people), a donation will be made to the Movember Foundation. Movember counts donations through December 9th so this will be a great opportunity to make a big push on final fundraising totals. Get everyone with you to check in on foursquare so we can raise the most money for Movember AND aim for a swarm badge!
Special thanks to our awesome donors, who so far have helped us secure
$2 $3 $4 $4.50 $6.50 $7 $7.50 (update!) $8 per check-in:
- The Alpha Loft via Joshua Cyr. $2/checkin
- @CMajor and @NHTweetUp. $1/checkin
- Brian DeKoning. $1/checkin
- Walter Elly. $1/checkin
- The Sages of RPG: Gaming Group via Wayne Moulton Jr. $1/checkin
- Sandra Rand. $1/checkin
- Jason Boucher, president of Social Media Club NH and Social Media Coordinator for The University of New Hampshire. On Twitter at @bouchermedia and @UofNH. Website: jasonboucher.net. $.50/checkin
- Interactive Medical Productions, LLC via Mike Muldoon $.50/checkin
$8 per check in is killer, but we’d LOVE to see more individuals, companies and organizations up the ante! Can we get to $10 or even $15? If you’d like to pledge any amount money per check in for up to 50 check ins, let us know by filling out our Digital Portsmouth Movember Fundraiser Pledge Form. We’re limiting this to the first 50 check-ins (which unlocks foursquare’s swarm badge for those in attendance), so if you pledge $1 per check in, the maximum donation you would make would be $50 if we got 50 check ins.
Don’t forget to RSVP to the event: Digital Portsmouth: The Art of Video.
To pledge, visit our Movember Fundraiser Pledge Form.
The Movember Foundation is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that runs the global men’s health initiative, Movember.
Each year, Movember, the month formerly known as November, is responsible for the sprouting of thousands of Mo’s (Australian slang for moustache, where the movement began) on men’s faces around the world, raising vital awareness and funds for men’s health, specifically for cancer affecting men.
Men who grow moustaches for the month of Movember, called Mo Bros, become walking, talking billboards for the cause, raising awareness by prompting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of men’s health.
Supported by the women in their lives, Mo Sistas, Movember Mo Bros raise funds by getting friends and family to donate to their Mo-growing efforts. The rules are simple: register online at Movember.com and start the month of Movember clean-shaven, then grow a moustache for 30 days. Last year, 255,722 men and women across the globe raised $40 million (USD) – all through the power of the Mo.
The money raised as a result of Movember is channeled by our beneficiary partners into a number of world class and innovative research, support, education, and awareness initiatives. Movember funds raised in the US benefit the Prostate Cancer Foundation (www.pcf.org) and LIVESTRONG (http://www.livestrong.org)
We know you’ve all been eager to find out what other specials are happening around Portsmouth this Saturday. In addition to the great lineup we’ve officially planned for you, many other businesses are offering special deals specifically for Foursquare Day. Check ‘em out:
- Agave: Get free nachos from 12-6pm when you check-in.
- foobar: Four Beer Sampler Paddle for only $4 OR one of four special appetizers for $4 each when you show the waitstaff your checkin on Saturday, April 16.
- Harbors Edge Restaurant & Riverwatch Lounge (Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel): ROLLIN’ DOWN THE RIVER! at the Riverwatch Lounge from 5-9pm. Seafood rolls for $8.99 – choose your roll: Lobster salad, fried native clam or baby Maine shrimp rolls, served with coleslaw and your choice of fries, sweet potato fries or chips.
- Orchard Street Chop Shop: $2.00 16oz Shipyard Summer Ale Draft.
- Redhook Brewery: Get a free tour of the brewery when you check in! Tours happen every hour from 12-4pm. Show your checkin to the bartender to redeem.
- Ristorante Massimo: Check in on Foursquare Day and be entered to win a complimentary dinner for two.
- Silver Moon Creperie: Become the Mayor of the Silver Moon Creperie and get a FREE T-shirt.
- The Chef’s Table: Free dessert with any entree on Saturday, April 16.
- Ale House Inn: Free 12 pack of Smuttynose beer awaits you in your in-room fridge for reservations on Saturday, April 16.
- The Music Hall: Drink specials happening in the Founders Lobby from 6-7pm and Stew & The Negro Problem at 8 and 9:30pm.
- 1 World Trading Company: Get 20% off any Biokleen cleaning product purchase with your first check-in.
- Celtic Crossing: to celebrate Celtic Crossing’s 12th year in the Heart of Portsmouth – and your first check-in – show the staff you’re there and get 12% off any on item!
- Flower Kiosk: Show the staff that you’ve checked in and receive a free rose! While you’re there, enter to win a year’s worth of free flowers. Drawing will be held on June 3rd, when the Flower Kiosk will celeberate 25 years of business.
- Lindt Chocolate Shop:
- Buy 4 bags of their bagged imperfections (mix and match) for $16.00
- Buy 4 100g bunnies in milk, dark, or white chocolate for $16.00
- Little Shop of Pets: Enter to win a $25.00 gift certificite to the store when you check in on Saturday, April 16.
- Lucy’s Art Emporium: Check in for 5% off of your purchase.
- Paradiza: 15% off any one item Made in New England when you check in.
- Runner’s Alley: 20% off any one running accessory like socks, hydration, hats, etc.
- Second Time Around: show your check-in to the staff on your smartphone and save 20% on your next purchase.
- Somnia: Get 15% off your purchase with a checkin.
- Stonewall Kitchen:
- Save 16% on your purchase when you check in at the Portsmouth Company Store location … PLUS mention Foursquare Day. Purchase must be made on 4/16/11 in the Portsmouth Company Store.
- Enter to win a “Four Square Belgian Waffler” at the Portsmouth Company Store. Must mention Foursquare Day to enter drawing. One winner’s name will be pulled at the end of the day.
- Enjoy a taste of their Carrot Cake Muffins and Key Lime Cheese Ball Mix samples throughout the day.
- Super Shoes:10% off entire purchase every 3rd check-in! Discount must be used within 24 hours of unlocking. Not valid on sale prices. Some exclusions apply, see store for details.
- Tugboat Alley: Mention Foursquare Day and get 10% off your purchase. Guess how many pieces of sea glass they have in their collection and win a sea glass necklace!
- Idea Greenhouse Durham: Full free month at out their new entrepreneur & coworking center (here’s how to get it, it’s easy!)
- Paws ‘n Claws: Get $2 off a dog nail trim on your first check-in.
- Samba Salon: 10% off your retail purchase with 1st check-in.
- Siren Salon: Get a cut & color starting at $85 with your first check-in.
If you’re interested in getting your business listed, let us know what kind of specials you want to offer to folks that check in by telling us here!
Image credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mooitw/
Portsmouth Foursquare Day is shaping up QUITE nicely, if we do say so ourselves. We’ve got an entire day planned, and we want you to join us! If you haven’t already, RSVP here on the Eventbrite page and reserve your spot!
Does your business want to participate in this year’s Foursquare Day? Let us know!
Special thanks to Portsmouth Foursquare Day Sponsor Idea Greenhouse Durham, who is also generously offering a free month’s membership if you post a foursquare checkin to Twitter on 4/16 and include @ideagreenhousnh in the checkin text.
Here’s what we’ve got going on:
Kickoff Foursquare Day with Leslie Poston
NOTE: Due to space constraints and limited capacity an RSVP using eventbrite is required for the kickoff event
Location: River House Restaurant (in upstairs function room)
Details: Pre-event meetup and social gathering.
Details: Foursquare Day kickoff events followed by Leslie Poston‘s presentation all about location-based services including foursquare and how you can use them in your everday life and business.
Details: Stick around after the kickoff and have lunch at the River House Restaurant with everyone and continue discussing foursquare, socializing and having fun!
Play Four Square at Prescott Park
Location: Prescott Park
Details: After lunch come join us for this family friendly event! Play actual four square (you know, the one with the ball?) at our four square court at Prescott Park. Then hang out and talk foursquare with us and find out about the latest local foursquare checkin specials and deals of the day. Expect tons of fun and maybe some fun surprises too! Weather permitting. Be sure to RSVP, you’ll be advised by email if we have to move the court to an alternative location due to weather.
Details: After playing four square with us head out on the town and visit and shop at all the great businesses in Portsmouth. Then dine downtown! Many businesses are offering Foursquare Day specials for checking in on foursquare! (list to be revealed soon!)
Alisa Alves NH Roller Derby Benefit
Location: Whittemore Center
Details: Family friendly event for a good cause! Kids 10 and Under are FREE! $10 tickets must be purchased in advance for this event by contacting email@example.com. Only tickets sold directly by The Alisa Alves Fund will benefit the fund. Learn more about this event.
Foursquare Day Party
Time: 7:00pm – ???
Details: Celebrate Foursquare Day at foobar! We’ll have plenty of foursquare swag on hand to give away and we’ll even be raffling off official 4sqday t-shirts from foursquare! Join us and help us to unlock the foursquare swarm badge for the second time ever in Portsmouth!
We’re so excited to see Foursquare Day gaining traction around the world, and we’re especially proud today because Portsmouth’s Mayor Thomas Ferrini has made the proclamation that 4/16 is officially Foursquare Day! Check it out:
This year, we’ve join the ranks of other cities – including our neighboring Manchester NH – on the list of towns who have made efforts to or succeeded in getting their mayor proclaim April 16th as Foursquare Day in their town. By doing this, local governments and chambers of commerce are validating the value that Foursquare brings to local economies. From the Foursquare Day HQ site, “By making it official, Foursquare Day becomes relevant to all citizens of the cities that are holding Foursquare Day celebrations and also adds the weight of official support for to all the businesses who are participating.” We’re psyched to officially be on the list!
Want to see the declaration in all it’s real, papery glory? Come to tonight’s eBrew event happening at The Press Room on Daniel Street in Portsmouth!
A couple great announcements to communicate this morning, including the unveiling of this year’s badge and free Foursquare Day shwag! Hey, that rhymes… kinda.
Walter breaks it down for us at the official Foursquare Day Blog:
Foursquare has once again created a special badge and logo for 4sqday! We’re super proud to unveil the new 4sqday 2011 logo and confirm that users will be able to unlock a 4sqday badge by checking in on April 16th, 2011! Details on exactly how to unlock the badge has yet to be revealed, but stay tuned!
Want one of these sweet shirts? So do we! Foursquare’s going to send us a free swag pack with shirts, stickers, badges, and more for our attendees IF – and ONLY IF – we reach at LEAST 50 attendees by Monday, April 4 – THIS MONDAY – at 4:16pm ET! Portsmouth hasn’t made the 50-people mark yet on our meetup.com page, what’re you waiting for? Head over and click “COUNT ME IN!”